Wednesday 11 February 2015

Meet my Bernina 1008


Well she arrived and here she is.  Lets just take a  pause and soak up this moment before I open the box, because I know I will never be here again owning a brand new sewing machine, a precious moment.


It is a Bernina 1008.  Not unsimilar to my previous machine  1020 that I was told needed stripping back and rebuilding again (after a disastrous repair experience) I chose this model solely because it was the nearest to that machine which I loved, and I could use all the accessories that I already had.

The machine is  a lower spec machine to my 1020 and when I first started testing it out, I couldn't help but compare it.  There are less fancy stitches,   no half speed option, no knee lifter,no tacking stitch and no auto bobbin wind.   If I'm honest (without sounding ungrateful) I was a tad disappointed.  I thought It would always be in the shadow of my beloved 1020.

But there is good news.   When I got sewing properly with it all thoughts of the 1020 disappeared, its all about how it handles when you are sewing with it, it felt good like I hoped it would. I can control the foot pedal so it can go really slow.  The fancy stitches, well I only used a few, and I'm sure I will get used to the bobbin winding. The machine sews like a dream.


I like heavy metal machines not plastic ones.  I'm not into fancy stitches but techniques.  I just want a good buttonhole and a reliable machine (touch wood) that purrs like a kitten, and if that is what you like you will love the Bernina 1008.

I shall call her Lucky wish is how I feel.  Now to plan some sewing.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you have this - and this is a good machine, I know people who have this model. Now you will be able to sew with us all again.

    ReplyDelete

thank you so much for commenting, After all its whats blogging all about. Though I may not answerr all your comments I do appreciate and enjoy reading them all.
louise